Michael's Church, named after Archangel Michael was finished in 1905. It was designed by Professor Lars Sonck and is one of the most popular wedding churches in Turku being able to seat 1,800 people. When Sonck won the competition for the church in 1894, he was only a 23-year old architectural student. Michael's church is a distinguished example of the neogothic style in architecture. The main building material of the walls of the church is red brick. The roof is made of grey green slate from Norway. However, the majority of the material used in the construction of the church are native materials from Finland. For the foundations, the stone steps, and the walls, natural stone was quarried not far from Turku.
In connection with this renovation work, a basic restoration of the 48 pipe mechanical organ made by the Kangasala organ company in 1965,was also done. The work was carried out by the organ builders Veikko Virtanen Ltd. However in later years this proved to be unreliable and a completely new instrument, designed by the present organist Marko Hakanpää, was built by the Swedish firm of Anders Grönlund. It has 52 stops over three manuals and pedal and 3633 pipes. It was inaugurated in October 2002.
Max Frelander the architect, who worked as an assistant to Sonck, contributed to the interior design. A rich Jugendstil (Art Nouveau) ornamentation decorates both the interior, the staircases and the windows. In the 1950s changes were made in the interior design of the church to match the Gothic exterior. First the decorative paintings of the choir and the arch of triumph were painted over, and later the wall paintings in the body of the church and the staircases. However, the original decorative pictures were restored in 1964-65 and, during a thorough renovation in the 1980s, the ceiling and the interior wall surfaces were carefully cleaned of grime of decades. The decorative designs were repaired and returned to their original paint finish or painted afresh.