Église St-Louis-en-l'Île Paris, France Bernard Aubertin, 2004
At first a parish chapel, in 1642 Louis XIV decided to build a larger church based on plans prepared by François Le Vau, and it was on that occasion that it was dedicated to St. Louis. The chancel, designed by Louis Le Vau, was built from 1664 to 1679. Due to lack of funds, construction was stopped. The nave and transept were built from 1702 to 1726. The Jesuit-styled church is considered to be a perfect example of 17th-century French Baroque. The former organ in this church was completely rebuilt by Clicquot. While the church was closed during the Revolution, the organ remained in the gallery until 1797 when it disappeared. In 1923, a new organ, built by Charles Mutin was installed but, in 1977, due to the dilapidated condition of this instrument, the then titular organist, Georges Guillard, withdrew and prepared plans for a new organ. In 1983, the City of Paris developed a project based on the one prepared by Georges Guillard. With the support of the Association des grandes orgues de Saint-Louis-en-l'Île, it was decided to build a new organ that would allow French and internationally renowned organists to play and record Baroque works and would contribute to the revival of organ teaching. Because of the church's excellent acoustics it is perfectly adapted to Baroque North-German music. The project was commissionned to Bernard Aubertin, based on the North German, pre-Romantic Baroque aesthetics instead of the brighter French Classic style. According to Bernard Aubertin, this instrument is better adapted to the polyphonic play with its contrasts on the tonal colour level, darker reeds in the pedal division, and an easiness in using the stops. The organ case was designed to blend itself with the 18th-century gallery which was modified and strengthened in order to support the new instrument. It was inaugurated on June 22, 2005.